Engage Your Community — Walking is a great way to connect with others while staying healthy. Look here for resources to help you plan an event or encourage others to walk.
Shape Your Environment
Move More, Walk Now NC Workshop Attendees Moving in the Right Direction
On September 20, more than 240 attendees participated in the Eat Smart, Move More North Carolina Workshop featuring physical activity and planning consultant Mark Fenton. The workshop was designed to promote walkable communities and physical activity. Attendees participated in neighborhood walkability audits and learned to identify features that encourage walking, biking and wheeling.
Presentations from the workshop include:
Helping Communities Walk to Healthier Designs by Mark Fenton, MS, Adjunct Associate Professor, Tufts University
- Equity and the Built Environment by Danielle Sherman, MPH, RHES, Active Living by Design
- School Siting by Chris Hilt, PLA, FASLA, LEED AP, CLH Design, P.A.
- Promoting Physical Activity Through Shared Use Agreements by Jason Bacarro, Ph.D., NC State University
- NC VisionZero by Lisa Riegel, Executive Director, BikeWalk NC
- Complete Streets by Ed Johnson, RLA, ASLA, North Carolina Department of Transportation
Join the movement – Eat Smart, Move More NC is a statewide movement that promotes increased opportunities for healthy eating and physical activity wherever people live, learn, earn, play and pray.